The Vancouver Art Gallery (VAG) is the fifth-largest art gallery in Canada and the largest in Western Canada. Its permanent collection of about 11,000 artworks includes more than 200 major works by Emily Carr, the Group of Seven, Jeff Wall, Harry Callahan and Marc Chagall.
The gallery was founded in 1931 and had its first home at 1145 West Georgia Street. In 1983 it moved to the Hornby Street location, the former provincial courthouse. It was renovated at a cost of $20 million by architect Arthur Erickson. The Gallery connects to the rest of the complex via an underground passage below Robson Street to an outdoor plaza, restaurants, the University of British Columbia's downtown satellite campus, government offices, and the new Law Courts at the southern end.
The Gallery has 41,400 square feet (3,850 m2) of exhibition space and thousands of works in its collection, most notably its Emily Carr collection. It has also amassed a significant collection of photographs. In addition to exhibitions of its own collection, the Gallery regularly hosts touring exhibitions. The Gallery also regularly features a variety of public programmes and lectures.