The Old Britannia Schoolhouse, formerly known as the School Section # 12 (S.S.#12) Toronto Township school, was built as a Common School in 1852. It replaced an earlier wooden school built in the 1830's which had fallen into poor repair. The Friends of the Schoolhouse keep a close eye on the condition of The Old Britannia Schoolhouse. In 2004 the building had extensive renovations including rebuilt chimneys, brick pointing and replacement of the stone step at the front door. As a result the building is in good condition despite its more than 150 years of coping with hundreds of lively students. With continued good care it should survive for many more years.