Queen's Park is an urban park in Downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Opened in 1860 by Edward, Prince of Wales, it was named in honour of Queen Victoria. The park is the site of the Ontario Legislative Building, which houses the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, and the phrase Queen's Park is regularly used as a metonym for the Government of Ontario.
The park is nearly an enclave of the University of Toronto, which occupies most of the surrounding lands. The park itself is technically owned by the University of Toronto, but the property was leased to the Government of Ontario in 1859 for a period of 999 years, set to expire in 2858. Ministry buildings of the Ontario government occupy other properties to the east of the park, in an area between Wellesley Street and Grosvenor Street. While not directly adjacent to the park, the Royal Ontario Museum and the Gardiner Museum are both located nearby.
Before the construction of the legislative complex, the University Hospital for the Insane was built on this property, dating back to 1842. Three apparitions of women haunt the present complex - probably former residents of the original institution. The White Lady wanders the halls, appearing sorrowful, with a long white flowing robe and long hair. The Maiden wears a checkered dress with an apron which she holds over her face to conceal her features. Most gruesome is The Hanging Woman, who dangles from a hook in the long tunnel in the basement. Also here is a curious (and probably recent) apparition of a soldier in full regimental dress that appears angry as he descends the Grand Staircase of the main hall.
Earn 10 points!