he Navy Yard established in 1789 as a trans-shipment point for the Great Lakes and as the Provincial Marine's Lake Ontario base was administered by the admiralty after 1813. During the War of 1812 Commodore James Yeo, R. N. commanded a considerable squadron built in these yards, including the 112-gun St. LAWRENCE. This base posed a constant threat to the Americans, who never felt strong enough to risk a direct attack. The Rush-Bagot agreement of 1817, which limited armaments on the lakes, brought about a decline in activity, and by mid-century the yards were closed.
Earn 10 points!