In November 1947, local entrepreneur Jack Starr purchased a small piece of property at 368-370 Queen Street West. With the objective of opening up a restaurant-tavern, specializing in prime rib roast beef, with slaw, & maybe some live music on the side, he named it The Horseshoe Tavern. The club officially opened on December 9th, 1947. The property itself dates back to 1861, when it opened as a blacksmith shop. In the intervening years it had been home to an actual shoe shop, and then a fancy goods store.
The H-Shoe Tavern is still musically relevant today as much as it has been in any era since its inception in 1949, some 65 years ago! The venue is still winning awards, is still a home for the very best Toronto local bands, and is still the place to play for a young Canadian Touring band. The ‘Shoe recently celebrated its 65th B-day with 3 weeks of concerts from the likes of Elvez, the Sheepdogs, the Watchmen, Lowest of the Low, The Sadies, and The Skydiggers.