Halifax City Hall is a monumental three-storey, stone municipal building erected in 1887-90. Completed in an eclectic late-Victorian version of the Second Empire style, this elaborate composition has a central seven-storey clock tower. The City Hall building was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1997 as one of Nova Scotia's oldest and largest public buildings.
Halifax City Hall is home to the Halifax Regional Municipality Mayor and Council.
Residents and visitors are greeted in the main foyer where a new access doorway has been installed as part of ongoing interior renovation work. The design will ensure the building can operate as an efficient, safe, accessible, and healthy office environment, and to preserve and sustain it as a National Historic Site of Canada.
The doorway treatment was chosen to complement the historical and aesthetic aspects of City Hall’s entryway, maintaining transparency in activities while improving security for Council, staff and the public.
Dalhousie University was situated on the present-day site of the building during the nineteenth century; for many years, the town and later city council argued for the public use of the site. A compromise was engineered by the premier, Sir William Young to facilitate a new use for the site.
Enjoy your visit to one of Halifax’s largest, historic public buildings.
Earn 10 points!