pin

To check you in, we need to ask your browser to verify your location.

City Hangar - Calgary Municipal Airport (#2)

1190 Mctavish Rd Ne, Calgary, Alberta

Heritage Character Statement
The Airport Terminal Building From 1939 To 1948, Its Design Is Influenced By The Moderne Style And Features; Simple Unadorned White Stucco Finish, Banded Horizontal Window Pattern With Windows Wrapped Around Corners, Flat Roof Juxtaposed To The Main Curved Roof, Projecting Canopy, And Vertical Stepped Wall Pattern On The Flight Doorway. It Was A Landmark For The City And Is The Most Significant Structure In Establishing The Dominant Character Of The Immediate Airfield Area.

Summary History
The City Hangar, As It Was Once Commonly Known, Is The Original And Only Remaining Terminal Building From The Second Calgary Municipal Airport (Renamed Mccall Field In 1956, And Designated As Calgary International Airport - Mccall Field In 1962). It Served As The Airport Terminal From 1939 To 1948, And Housed The Airport Manager's Office From 1939 To 1956.

In 1937, The Federal Government Established A National Air Carrier, Trans-Canada Airlines (Tca, Renamed Air Canada In 1965). Calgarians Looked Forward To The Nationwide Air Mail And Passenger Service That Tca Would Soon Offer. However, Since The Mountainous Terrain West Of Lethbridge Was Less Forbidding Than That West Of Calgary, The Proposed Transcontinental Route Was To Fly Through The Southern City. Further, The Calgary Municipal Airport, With Its Short, Grass Covered Runways, Was Judged Unsuitable For The Carrier's Lockheed 10A Aircraft. In 1938, The City Of Calgary Secured Federal Government Assistance To Build A New Airport And Acquired A Site Northeast Of The City, Along Edmonton Trail, From Airdrie Farmer Leslie Farr. (The Airport Lay Outside The City Limits Until 1953.) Runway Development Began In August 1938, And Construction Of The Hangar Began On January 15, 1939. Built By The Buchan Construction Company At A Cost Of $47,000.00, The City Hangar Housed A Ticket Office, Waiting Room, Restaurant, Supply Room, Offices For The Airport Manager And The Resident Engineer, The Federal Department Of Transport's Meteorological Office And Radio Range Station, And Hangar Space And Offices For Tca.

Tca Commenced Its Freight Service In 1938 And A Transcontinental Passenger Service In April 1939. While Its Main Route Flew Through Lethbridge, Tca Included Calgary In Its "milk Run" Between Lethbridge And Edmonton. The New Calgary Municipal Airport Received Its Permanent License On September 25, 1939.

During Wwii, The Airport Served As A Training Centre Under The British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, And Several New Buildings - Including A Drill Hall, Fire Hall And Five New Hangars - Were Constructed As Part Of The War Effort. In 1943, The United States Army Air Force Established A Presence At The Airport As A Refueling And Repair Centre For Alaska Flights. The U.s. Government Purchased A Quarter-Section Immediately West Of The Airport And Built A Large Concrete Ramp, Administration Buildings, Barracks And Mess Halls. Besides Its Military Activity, The Airport Continued To Operate As A Civil Airport, With Regular Tca Flights Between Lethbridge And Edmonton.

The Airport Was Returned To The City Of Calgary In 1949, And Remained Under Municipal Control Until It Was Sold To The Federal Government In 1967. Canadian Pacific Airlines Began Service At The Airport In 1949, And Runway Improvement Allowed Tca To Reroute Its Main Line That Year From Lethbridge To Calgary. The City Hangar Continued To House The Airport Manager's Office And Radio Range Until 1956. It Remained As Revenue Property, Housing Such Occupants As Chinook Flying Service Limited, Monroe Aero Engine, Klarenbach Aviation, Morgan Air, Condor Aircraft Accessories And Dynamic Flight.

SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE
TRIVIA
Discovery Quest Discovery Quest
Discovery Quests Needed!

You can create the first Discovery Quest for this site! Fill out 1 correct answer and 3 possible incorrect answers.

City Hangar - Calgary Municipal Airport (#2)

Challenges
Site Info
Discovery Quest
Discovery Quests Needed!

You can create the first Discovery Quest for this site! Fill out 1 correct answer and 3 possible incorrect answers.

Heritage Character Statement
The Airport Terminal Building From 1939 To 1948, Its Design Is Influenced By The Moderne Style And Features; Simple Unadorned White Stucco Finish, Banded Horizontal Window Pattern With Windows Wrapped Around Corners, Flat Roof Juxtaposed To The Main Curved Roof, Projecting Canopy, And Vertical Stepped Wall Pattern On The Flight Doorway. It Was A Landmark For The City And Is The Most Significant Structure In Establishing The Dominant Character Of The Immediate Airfield Area.

Summary History
The City Hangar, As It Was Once Commonly Known, Is The Original And Only Remaining Terminal Building From The Second Calgary Municipal Airport (Renamed Mccall Field In 1956, And Designated As Calgary International Airport - Mccall Field In 1962). It Served As The Airport Terminal From 1939 To 1948, And Housed The Airport Manager's Office From 1939 To 1956.

In 1937, The Federal Government Established A National Air Carrier, Trans-Canada Airlines (Tca, Renamed Air Canada In 1965). Calgarians Looked Forward To The Nationwide Air Mail And Passenger Service That Tca Would Soon Offer. However, Since The Mountainous Terrain West Of Lethbridge Was Less Forbidding Than That West Of Calgary, The Proposed Transcontinental Route Was To Fly Through The Southern City. Further, The Calgary Municipal Airport, With Its Short, Grass Covered Runways, Was Judged Unsuitable For The Carrier's Lockheed 10A Aircraft. In 1938, The City Of Calgary Secured Federal Government Assistance To Build A New Airport And Acquired A Site Northeast Of The City, Along Edmonton Trail, From Airdrie Farmer Leslie Farr. (The Airport Lay Outside The City Limits Until 1953.) Runway Development Began In August 1938, And Construction Of The Hangar Began On January 15, 1939. Built By The Buchan Construction Company At A Cost Of $47,000.00, The City Hangar Housed A Ticket Office, Waiting Room, Restaurant, Supply Room, Offices For The Airport Manager And The Resident Engineer, The Federal Department Of Transport's Meteorological Office And Radio Range Station, And Hangar Space And Offices For Tca.

Tca Commenced Its Freight Service In 1938 And A Transcontinental Passenger Service In April 1939. While Its Main Route Flew Through Lethbridge, Tca Included Calgary In Its "milk Run" Between Lethbridge And Edmonton. The New Calgary Municipal Airport Received Its Permanent License On September 25, 1939.

During Wwii, The Airport Served As A Training Centre Under The British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, And Several New Buildings - Including A Drill Hall, Fire Hall And Five New Hangars - Were Constructed As Part Of The War Effort. In 1943, The United States Army Air Force Established A Presence At The Airport As A Refueling And Repair Centre For Alaska Flights. The U.s. Government Purchased A Quarter-Section Immediately West Of The Airport And Built A Large Concrete Ramp, Administration Buildings, Barracks And Mess Halls. Besides Its Military Activity, The Airport Continued To Operate As A Civil Airport, With Regular Tca Flights Between Lethbridge And Edmonton.

The Airport Was Returned To The City Of Calgary In 1949, And Remained Under Municipal Control Until It Was Sold To The Federal Government In 1967. Canadian Pacific Airlines Began Service At The Airport In 1949, And Runway Improvement Allowed Tca To Reroute Its Main Line That Year From Lethbridge To Calgary. The City Hangar Continued To House The Airport Manager's Office And Radio Range Until 1956. It Remained As Revenue Property, Housing Such Occupants As Chinook Flying Service Limited, Monroe Aero Engine, Klarenbach Aviation, Morgan Air, Condor Aircraft Accessories And Dynamic Flight.

1190 Mctavish Rd Ne, Calgary, Alberta
  Earn 10 points!