pin

To check you in, we need to ask your browser to verify your location.

Campbell House Museum

Campbell House Museum

160 Queen St W, Toronto, Ontario
(416) 597-0227
http://www.campbellhousemuseum.ca/

Built in 1822, Campbell House is the oldest surviving building from the Town of York and an outstanding example of Georgian architecture. Saved by The Advocates’ Society from demolition and moved to its current location in 1972, Campbell House was home to Chief Justice William Campbell, who in 1826 presided over the trial of the rioters who destroyed William Lyon Mackenzie’s printing press, a significant early test for freedom of the press in Canada. Located in Toronto’s justice precinct, at the northwest corner of Queen Street West and University Avenue, the classical house with surrounding park is a contrast to, and a stage from which to contemplate, the urban scene arrayed before it: the skyline of office towers and rising condos, City Hall and the courts, University Avenue, and the retail and cultural strip of Queen Street West. Campbell House is owned by the City of Toronto. The museum is operated by the Sir William Campbell Foundation and the grounds are maintained as a public park by the City on land leased from The Great-West Life Assurance Co.

Photo Credit: http://peachplumorange.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/img_5354.jpg

Text Credit: http://www.campbellhousemuseum.ca/?page_id=8

NEWS FEED
  • Campbell House Museum
    guestBook Guestbook/ GeoGal1/ Jun 10, 2017

    It is wonderful to see this historic home preserved at one of Toronto's busiest corners. Always lots of interesting activities going on here and usually decorated for Christmas. We walk by it several times a month on our way to The Rex.

  • Explore150 photoSpot Snapshot/ GeoGal1/ Jun 10, 2017
  • Explore150 photoSpot Snapshot/ mackenzien308/ Jun 1, 2017
  Back to Adventure
Campbell House Museum

Campbell House Museum

Challenges
Site Info
NEWS FEED
  • Campbell House Museum
    guestBook Guestbook/ GeoGal1/ Jun 10, 2017

    It is wonderful to see this historic home preserved at one of Toronto's busiest corners. Always lots of interesting activities going on here and usually decorated for Christmas. We walk by it several times a month on our way to The Rex.

  • Explore150 photoSpot Snapshot/ GeoGal1/ Jun 10, 2017
  • Explore150 photoSpot Snapshot/ mackenzien308/ Jun 1, 2017

Built in 1822, Campbell House is the oldest surviving building from the Town of York and an outstanding example of Georgian architecture. Saved by The Advocates’ Society from demolition and moved to its current location in 1972, Campbell House was home to Chief Justice William Campbell, who in 1826 presided over the trial of the rioters who destroyed William Lyon Mackenzie’s printing press, a significant early test for freedom of the press in Canada. Located in Toronto’s justice precinct, at the northwest corner of Queen Street West and University Avenue, the classical house with surrounding park is a contrast to, and a stage from which to contemplate, the urban scene arrayed before it: the skyline of office towers and rising condos, City Hall and the courts, University Avenue, and the retail and cultural strip of Queen Street West. Campbell House is owned by the City of Toronto. The museum is operated by the Sir William Campbell Foundation and the grounds are maintained as a public park by the City on land leased from The Great-West Life Assurance Co.

160 Queen St W, Toronto, Ontario
(416) 597-0227
http://www.campbellhousemuseum.ca/
  Earn 10 points!

Photo: http://peachplumorange.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/img_5354.jpg